For many IU students, it’s the end of the year!
Are you moving? A few things to remember…
RENEWING? To those renewing their lease, we thank you and look forward to continuing to work with you. Let us know if you need anything!
MOVING? For those leaving us, thank you so much for renting from Elkins Apartments. We hope you have had an enjoyable stay here. We want to say good luck in the future to all those not returning to campus.
If you are graduating or moving, we have included some information about the subleasing and move out procedures to make that transition successful. You may wish to reread your lease as well.
- Lease ends at noon! Be aware that the lease ends at noon on the last day of your lease, unless you renewed. Anything left in your apartment after your lease expires will be considered abandoned. We will not be responsible for damage or loss of your personal property left behind so this means nothing can be stored in your apartment after the lease expires. Possession reverts back to Elkins Apartments at noon on the last date of your lease. If you have sold furniture to future tenants, you cannot store the belongings in your dwelling unit as the new tenants do not take possession of your dwelling unit on that day. Please call the office regarding such furniture and we will try to accomodate you. We have also listed phone numbers below of agencies that are willing to accept donations.
- Stay Current on Rent and Utilities! Even if you leave town, please stay in touch with your roommates and/or sublessees to be sure that the rent is paid on time and that no damage has occurred in your apartment. You will still be held responsible for your apartment and the utilities must remain on until the lease term ends AND you have given us 3 days notice that they will be turned off. You will be accountable for any damages incurred if you turn them off before hand (think…refrigerator, not just gross but potentially unsalvageable, among other potential problems). Therefore, be sure you have responsible roommates and/or sublessees. Staying up to date will avoid unpleasant surprises and late fees.
- Manage Your Sublessee (if you have one!). Explain to your sublessee that payments are due in a timely manner to avoid additional fees. Your sublessee can pay you so that you know that the rent is being paid on time or your sublessee may make payments directly to our office as long as the apartment address and the name of the person they are subleasing from is on the check to assure proper accounting. (Your sublessee’s name is not in our computer.) Please make checks payable to Elkins Apartments.Please let us know the name of your sublessee, their phone number, and the phone number at your residence if it has changed. We need to keep our records updated. In addition, be sure your sublessee knows where our office is and has the emergency phone numbers listed in the policies and procedures booklet. If needed, we have sublessee forms available in the office.
- Clean Up/Move Out! Arrange with your roommates and/or sublessee about who will clean and paint your apartment at the end of the lease term unless you plan that it be done following your move out and deducted from the deposit. Be sure to get permission and the paint codes from us if you are painting and be sure to use drop cloths and to do a good job of cutting in. A bad touchup paint job can be harder to fix, and far more expensive, than the original paint problems. Do it right, and you might save some money; do it wrong, and it could be even more painful. The carpets will be steam cleaned and deducted from your deposit. You do not need to do this, it is in your lease; however, you need to vacuum all the floors to prepare for this, and you should mop all hard floors.All work must be completed prior to the move-out inspection or whatever work is necessary will be done after you move out and itemized on your security deposit statement. Security deposits will be mailed to the legal designate on the the lease within 45 days after the lease term ends.Tenants are responsible for scheduling a move out inspection during our office hours. You do not have to be present for the move-out inspection; however, do not forget to return keys, mail keys, and if applicable modems & cords,and garage door openers to our office. The inspection must be scheduled at least 72 hours prior to move out. The move out inspection can only be completed when the unit is empty and keys are surrendered to the office. Utilities must remain on until after the move-out inspection has been completed and tenants will be responsible for utilities during the time repairs need to be made.
- Sit back, relax (or what about my deposit?). Deposits will be refunded after the water and sewer bills are paid in full and a paid receipt of the final bill is provided to the office. The security deposit cannot be used for rent.
If your home will be unoccupied prior to your move out date, please inform us immediately. DO NOT disconnect the utilities. Please call us to discuss an alternate inspection date if you wish to leave Bloomington earlier.
Prepping for your Move-Out Inspection
Please read your lease. Here is an additional, but not an all inclusive list, of items to check for the move out inspection:
|Clean stove. Clean under burners. Lift stove lid and clean. Clean oven and broiler and burner pans. Be sure to leave broiler pans. Clean under stove. Clean above cabinets.|
|Clean the refrigerator and freezer and seals. Be sure to leave ice-cube trays and ice-cube containers. Pull refrigerator out and clean the floor underneath and wipe off the top. Wipe down outside of appliances as well. Make sure all shelves are in.|
|Clean the cabinets inside and out and on top.|
|Sweep and mop the floor. Dust the baseboards.|
|Thoroughly clean tubs, toilets, sinks, mirrors, cabinets, closets, and mop the floors. (There should be no soap scum)|
|BEDROOMS, LIVING ROOM, HALLWAYS, & STAIRWAYS|
|Clean windows, wipe window sills and blinds.|
|Dust base boards and vents and closet shelves.|
|Wipe fingerprints off all doors and light switches.|
|Vacuum all carpet (stairs also).|
|BLINDS AND/OR CURTAINS RODS|
|Any blinds or curtain rods attached to the woodwork should remain in place and be in operable condition with wands.|
|BASEMENT AND/OR GARAGE|
|Remove all belongings and trash. Be sure to tag your trash. Sweep. Return any garage door openers to the office.|
|Throw all trash into appropriate trash receptacles. Remove all belongings from inside and outside your residence including the porch areas and yards. Replace burnt out light bulbs. Clean all light fixtures, wipe down door handles, switch plates & outlet plates. Wipe out window sills. Replace used batteries in the smoke alarms and any broken doorstops. Be sure the fire extinguisher is full. Clean laundry room. Clean up cobwebs. Make sure all window screens are intact and in place.|
|Cleaning and Painting will be done by the lessee prior to move out or the cost will be deducted from the security deposit. Call the office if you need to touch up paint or spackle: 339-2859. (Be sure to use the correct paint and rollers. Doing it wrong will cost more than having someone else do it!)|
|KEYS, GARAGE DOOR OPENERS, AND MODEMS|
|All keys (including mail keys) must be returned to our office by 5 p.m. on the last day of your lease. Keys shall be placed in a sealed envelope along with the address of the leased premises and delivered to the Elkins Apartments front desk. If all keys are not returned within the specified time frame, they will be assumed lost or stolen and the locks will be changed at your expense. Any locks not installed by Elkins Apartments on bedroom doors must be removed.|
|Return all modems, cords, garage door openers.|
I got stuff. What should I do?
Do you have furniture, food or clothing that you are thinking about throwing away? Please consider selling, donating, or recycling them!
Furniture Exchange: 334-1236 / www.furniture-ex.com
Blue Moon Consignment: 334-8119 / www.bluemoonbloomington.com
Long’s Landing: 332-5888 stopped buying at this time.
BACKSTREET MISSION 333-3341
1911 S. Walnut St S. Walnut and Miller Drive by Maxwell’s
Hours 10-8 M-Sat. Pick-ups can be arranged but need to arranged in advance
Salvation Army (clothing, household items, furniture)
508 W. Kirkwood (½ block north of 5th (Kirkwood) & Rogers)
Hours 10-6 M-Sat. Call ahead for possible pickup (334-1366) firstname.lastname@example.org
Goodwill (clothing, household items, furniture)
840 S. Auto Mall Rd, 331-8170
1284 S. Liberty Dr, 336-8104
2444 S Walnut St, 330-9312
M-Sat 9-9 Sun 12-6, Drop off only NO pickups available
Opportunity House (clothing and household items mostly)
Supports MCUM See below
907 W 11th, 336-2443
M-Sat 8:30-3 (drop offs only)
St Vincent DePaul (furniture only)
961-1510 leaves a message they will return a call or e-mail email@example.com.
Items can be dropped off –call to arrange time or they will schedule a pick up
Habitat for Humanity Re-Store Furniture, tools and building materials/NO clothing
300 W. 11TH (½ block w of College Ave) 331-2660
Drop offs: M-F: 11-5, Wed: 12-5, Sat: 9-3
(Call 2 wks in advance to arrange pick-ups)
DUMP IT (if you absolutely must, but that is so not green!)
Free, large item pickup by the City, THIS WEEK ONLY! This week and thru May 12th, the City of Bloomington Sanitation Department will be picking up large items free of charge if you have city pick-up-including grills, mattresses, furniture and other household items. These large items will be picked up at the curb on your regularly scheduled trash pick-up day. (Have the items at curbside by 5 a.m.). Regular household trash will still need a sticker. Remove the propane tanks from grills. If you are in need of an appliance pick-up, call the Sanitation Department at 812.349.3443 to schedule.
What about Food?
Monroe County United Ministries: 339-3429 (M-F: 8-4)
827 W. 14th Court
Near Tri-North Middle school and Mills pool on the Westside
Accepts unopened perishable and non-perishable food items
Hoosier Hills Food Bank: 334-8374 (M-F 9-5)
2333 W. Industrial Park Drive
1st right on west side of Hwy 37 near Vernal and 37 Intersection
Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard
1010 S. Walnut St
355-6843, M-F 3pm-6pm
If you have any questions, please call us at 812-339-2859. Have a great summer! If your housing needs have changed and you need another size or location, please let us know.